Samsung Galaxy phones have split-screen technology that helps you to multitask by allowing you to open two or more apps at the same time. For example, you can simultaneously watch a YouTube movie and read tweets. Doesn’t it sound intriguing? Read on to learn everything there is to know about Samsung split-screen.
1. Put Apps in Split Screen Mode From Recents Screen
1. Launch the first app on your phone.
2. Open the Recent apps screen either using the Recents key or swipe up gesture.
3. Tap the app’s icon on the Recents screen. Select Open in split screen view from the menu.
4. In a split-screen view, the app will assume the top spot. In the bottom panel, you’ll find a list of apps. Choose the second app from the drop-down menu.
That is all there is to it. Both apps will appear on the screen, and you can use them simultaneously. Three apps can be used in split screen mode on foldable devices.
2. Put Apps in Split Screen Mode From Edge Panel
If you’re using Samsung’s Edge panel, you can drag and drop the app to place it in split-screen mode, as demonstrated below:
1. Put the first app in the split-screen view from the Recents screen as shown above.
2. Then, open the Edge panel.
3. Drag the app icon from the Edge panel to the top or bottom of the screen. It will open in split-screen view with the app that you opened in step 1.
3. Reorder Apps
The apps are usually displayed in the split-screen mode in the order in which they were opened. That isn’t to say you can’t rearrange them later. It’s simple to raise or lower them. To do so, click the three-dot icon that appears between the two app panels. To adjust their location, press the two arrow (up and down) symbols.
4. Change Size of App Panels
By default, each app panels will take up the same amount of screen real space. You can change their size to fit your needs if you desire.
To do so, press and hold the three-dot icon in the middle of the two apps and drag it up or down to modify their sizes. To raise the size of the top app, drag it downwards, and to increase the size of the app in the bottom panel, drag it higher.
5. Turn off Split Screen View
You can disable the split-screen mode if you only want to utilise one app. There are four options for doing so.
1. Using Back
Make the app panel you want to close active by touching on it while in split-screen mode. Then press the Back key or swipe back with your hand. The app panel will close, and the other app will take over the entire screen. Please note that this method will only work if you are on the app’s home screen. Otherwise, you’d have to use the back button several times.
2. By Changing Size
Another option for exiting split-screen mode is to maximise the size of the required programme. The second app will be closed automatically as a result of this. To keep one of the apps, drag the divider (three-dot icon) between them to the very top or very bottom, depending on which one you wish to keep. The other app will be hidden as a result.
3. Using Maximize Button
Press the Grey/Blue bar in the top-center of the app you want to use to continue. To maximise the current app, press the double-sided arrow. The second app will be closed as a result of this action.
4. Using Close Button
Using the Maximize button is the inverse of this procedure. Simply tap the grey/blue bar on the app you wish to close to close it. Close the app and maximise the other app by pressing the X symbol.
You can also go to the home screen and delete the app pair from the Recents screen.
6. Launch Two Apps in Split Screen Automatically
What if you routinely utilise two apps at the same time? The default behaviour is to manually place two apps in split-screen mode each time. Thanks to the App pairs feature on the Edge panel, you won’t have to do so.
You can use App Pair to link two apps and have them run in split-screen mode whenever you press on the app pair icon.
Follow these steps to use this feature:
1. First, you need to enable the Edge panel. For that, go to Settings > Display > Edge panels. Turn it on. Learn more about how to use and customize the Edge panel.
2. Open the two desired apps in split-screen view.
3. Tap on the three-dot icon between the two apps and hit the App pair icon (two windows with plus sign). That will create the app pair.
4. Go to the Edge panel and open it. Swiping inwards from the Edge handle that appears on the right edge will bring up the Edge panel. Inside the Apps Edge, you’ll locate the app pairs. To open a pair in split-screen mode, tap on it.
Tip: Swipe left on the panels to navigate among the available edges if you don’t see the Apps edge.
7. Delete App Pair
1. Open the Apps edge.
2. Tap on the three-bar icon followed by the Edit button.
3. Tap on the minus (-) sign on the pair that you want to discard.
8. Open Apps in Pop-Up View
Aside from the split-screen view, Samsung Galaxy phones include a new multi-tasking feature. In a nutshell, you can open programmes in a floating window over any other app or apps in split-screen mode. In essence, you can utilise three apps at the same time. You may move, resize, reduce, and even adjust the opacity of the floating window.
Use the following methods to open programmes in pop-up mode:
Method 1: From Recent Apps Screen
The Recent Apps panel will appear. In the pop-up view, tap on the app icon and select Open.
Method 2: From Split Screen View
Split-screen mode allows you to run two apps simultaneously. Press the Pop-up view icon on the grey/blue bar in the app panel. The selected app should now appear in the pop-up view.
Method 3: From Edge Panel
On your phone, open the Edge panel. To open the app in the pop-up view, drag the selected app icon to the centre of the screen.
9. Open Any App in Split Screen Mode
Unfortunately, not all programmes enable split-screen mode. However, by enabling a feature in Developer/Lab mode that forces programmes to use the multitasking capabilities, you can still use them in split-screen mode.
To do so, go to Settings > Advanced features > Labs. Enable the toggle for Multi window for all apps.
Don’t worry if you don’t see the aforementioned choice. It’s still possible to do it through Developer settings. To do so, you must first activate Developer settings. Go to Settings > About phone > Software information to do so. Tap the Build number seven times to receive the message “You are now a developer!”
Return to the Settings menu and select Developer options. Scroll down and check the boxes for Force resizable activities and Multi window for all apps.
The Best of Samsung
Split-screen is one of the many amazing features available on Samsung Galaxy phones. For example, you can personalise your phone with Good Lock, connect to a Windows computer with Link to Windows, edit images like an expert with Samsung Gallery, and much more.